Barbecook Beech Smoke Dust
Barbecook cold smoke generator
Breakfast with a fresh egg plucked from the nest of our free-range chickens makes us cluck happily. We have already made a “dipping egg” in orange on the Barbecook Loewy, but did you know that eggs can be also perfect smoked? You get a delicious, but subtle smoke taste in the pre-cooked eggs and you can then easily add them to an egg salad or they are delicious as a snack with some toast.
This time we will cold smoke our eggs with beech smoke dust, which can actually be used universally. Perfect for a farm fresh smoked egg.
- Boil the eggs according to your preference: hard, slightly firm or soft.
- Peel the eggs and dry them off well. They must be dry to absorb the smoke flavour properly.
- Fill the cold smoke generator with the beech smoke dust, place the candle inside and light it. As the smoke dust starts to smoulder, blow the candle out and the place the cold smoke generator in the smoking oven.
- Place the eggs on the grill so that they do not touch each other, as the smoke needs to circulate freely and reach all the eggs.
- Open the air supply, so that you have the best circulation possible.
- Smoke the eggs for 15 to 30 minutes until they go a nice tan colour. If you want the flavour to be more intense, you can, of course, leave the eggs longer.
- Serve the smoked eggs as a snack with a piece of toast or use them in a cold smoked egg salad. Egg-cellent!