- 6 - 8 persons
- 2 hours smoking + 30 minutes preparation
- Barbecook Oskar
- Charcoal Starter
For the smoked tomatoes
- 4 vine tomatoes, a few sprigs of thyme, a few sprigs of rosemary, olive oil, salt, pepper
For the raw tomatoes
- 2 tomatoes (of varying sizes and colours)
For the marinated tomatoes
- 2 tomatoes (of varying sizes and colours), salt, pepper, white wine vinegar, olive oil
- pine nuts, edible flowers, 2 pieces of burrata (or mozzarella), good olive oil, balsamic cream, ordinary capers
Have I ever told you that I simply adore burrata? Doubtlessly I have. This time, I will be combining it with smoked tomatoes. You heard right: smoked tomatoes.
A few weeks ago, I dug up the Oskar smoker to play around with a few culinary ideas. One of my experiments was smoking tomatoes.
I cut tomatoes in half, and coated them with olive oil, thyme and rosemary. In the meantime, I preheated the smoker to 100°C. I put in the tomatoes, and subjected them to this smoke bath for two hours. Next, I allowed them to cool down and served them with raw and marinated tomatoes, pine nuts, burrata and capers. A perfect starter or sharing dish.
This time, no huge chunks of meat or slices of fish; just a few veggies in combination with a lovely piece of burrata. Sometimes, just a few basic ingredients are more than enough.
- To prepare the marinated tomatoes, cut the tomatoes into quarters. Marinate them in salt, pepper, one part olive oil and one part vinegar. Set aside.
- Next, cut the raw tomatoes into quarters or sixths, depending on their size.
- To prepare the smoked tomatoes, cut the tomatoes in half. Coat with olive oil, salt, pepper, coarsely chopped rosemary and thyme.
- Light the Barbecook Oskar with the charcoal starter and preheat to approximately 100°C.
- Put the tomatoes in the smoker, tossing in the previously soaked smoke wood onto the charcoal.
- Smoke the tomatoes for two hours. Remove from the smoker and set aside to cool.
- Toast the pine nuts in a dry pan.
- Place the burrata or mozzarella at the centre of your serving dish. Arrange the raw, marinated and smoked tomatoes randomly around the cheese.
- Finish with the flowers, pine nuts, pepper, extra olive oil, balsamic cream and capers.