Caramelised Onion and Pickle Mayo
Barbecook Siesta 412 Black Edition
10 to 16 sausages
¼ white cabbage
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 bottle of Sint-Bernardus Prior
Sometimes you have to have something easy. Some sausages on the barbecue, a beer in hand, friends on the balcony, children playing and the setting sun. How idyllic can an evening be in a working week?
For the hot dog sausages I chose real sausages. Yep, from my favourite pig farmer, Schurmans. You should have seen that coming. These hot dogs are actually a kind of bratwurst. You know them well from a football match or the like. That’s why I serve some fried onions with them. Also, I caramelise them and de-glaze them with brown beer. Sint-Bernardus Prior, just to be clear.
The only problem? Finding a tasty roll. So, dearest reader, if you yourself have a tip for me, shoot! I am eternally grateful to you. Out of necessity I choose a baguette. Tasty, but not perfect.
For the rest I keep it simple: a quick coleslaw, pickle mayo and Bicky onions. Sorry, my guilty pleasure. The result can be great. Fatty (obviously), a bit sour and spilling all-over-the-way. You know it.
So what’s next? Go outside, start up the barbecue and barbecue those sausages!
- Peel and slice the onions thinly. Melt butter in a pan. Fry the onions in the butter. Turn the heat down a little and cook until done. Add the sugar, leave them to caramelise, de-glaze with half of the beer (you can drink the other half) and let it boil down. Place to one side.
- Tip: open your bottle of beer using the integrated bottle opener on the Siesta 412 Black Edition.
- Grate the carrot and cabbage. Mix and make a dressing of 3 tbsp yoghurt, 3 tbsp mayonnaise, the juice of 1 lime, pepper and salt and chopped parsley. Mix it together.
- Place the mayonnaise in a measuring cup. Add 3 to 4 spoonfuls of pickles. Mix finely. Place it in a piping bag.
- Heat the Siesta 412 Black Edition. Grill or fry the sausages.
- Toast the baguette briefly on the barbecue. Cut lengthwise.
- Cover the baguette with the fried onion, coleslaw and sausage. Finish with the pickle mayo and Bicky onions. Enjoy!