Safedrop charcoal starter
- 1 hour
- Long satay skewers, a tray or plate to put the sausages on, empty French fry bags (or tin foil, etc.)
- A few flatbreads (depending on the size. Alternatives are French bread, tortillas or Turkish bread), 2 tomatoes, 4 carrots, ½ cucumber, ¼ head of iceberg lettuce, 1 red onion, some sambal or other spicy sauce
For the sauce:
- 6 tbsp full-fat yoghurt, salt and pepper, 2 tbsp mayonnaise, 1 clove garlic
For the minced meat:
- 800 g minced lamb, salt and pepper, 1 shallot, 1 clove garlic, breadcrumbs, paprika, ground cumin
Fast food on the Barbecook Billy: a durum kebab. (Although, strictly speaking, we are actually making durum with köfte.) The idea is simple. Mix minced meat with herbs and spices, roll into sausages and insert a skewer into it. Next, grill these sausages on a stick over the Billy.
To complete the recipe, put the grilled meat, some veggies and garlic sauce on a piece of flatbread. Fathers who are fans of spicy food can add a little extra sambal. Serve the flatbread in a crisps bag. Of course, a sheet of tin foil, a napkin or even some baking paper will do just as well.
Our Durum is healthier, more delicious and far cooler than the well-known fast food version! Still, we can’t help but admit that stopping for a fast food durum after a night out on the town – no matter how rarely we do this now that we have children – hits the spot like nothing else.
- Mixing the minced meat is an ideal task to do together with the kids. Put the herbs and spices in jars to make it easier for them. Let the kids mix the meat by themselves, or do it together!
- Older children will also be able to roll the minced beef into sausages. Stick the sausages onto extra long satay skewers so that the kids can hold the sausages over the barbecue relatively safely.
- Our garlic sauce is made with yoghurt, garlic and a little mayonnaise, making it a little healthier than just garlic and mayonnaise.
- Slice the veggies in advance. Of course, the kids can help with this (under supervision).
- Playing with fire is always a little dangerous. Keep a watchful eye on your little ones!
- Finely chop or press the clove of garlic. Blend the garlic into the yoghurt, along with the mayonnaise and a little salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Finely chop the shallots and garlic for the minced meat. Mix into the meat. Season with paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. To make it firmer, you can add breadcrumbs.
- Roll into sausages.
- Insert the satay skewers into the sausages and store them in the refrigerator.
- Prepare the vegetables: cut the tomato, lettuce, onion, carrot and cucumber into thin slices. Store separately in bowls.
- Light the Barbecook Billy using Safedrop charcoal starter.
- Place the grill on the barbecue and grill the sausages over the fire.
- Remove the meat from the skewers and top pieces of flatbread with meat, sauce and veggies! Roll up.