Barbecook Beech Smoke Dust
Barbecook cold smoke generator
Hard cheese (cheddar, stilton, gouda)
The ideal companion for a successful aperitif has traditionally been a delicious piece of hard cheese. Served with a local beer, a glass of wine or port, cheese is a true delight for the taste buds. Of course we would like to take this a step further: cheese is also delicious cold smoked. The smoky flavour combined with the soft creamy cheese is a must for every real gourmet.
Your best choice when smoking cheese is a hard cheese, such as Cheddar, Stilton or Gouda. Because we like to work with local produce, we have selected a smoked Flandrien cheese. So go and explore and discover the artisanal cheeses that your area has to offer!
- Cut the cheese into large pieces weighing 200 grams and 2 centimetres thick. This ensures that the cheese can get a nice smoky flavour.
- Fill the cold smoke generator with the beech smoke dust, place the candle inside and light it. When the smoke dust starts to smoulder, blow the candle out and the place the cold smoke generator in the smoking oven Oskar.
- Lay the pieces of cheese on the grill so they do not touch each other, as the smoke needs to circulate unimpeded and reach all of the pieces of cheese.
- Open the air supply, so that you have the best circulation possible.
- Smoke the cheese now for 4 to 5 hours, turning the pieces halfway through. Let the cold smoke generator completely finish smoking, this takes about 7 to 8 hours. Always make sure that your temperature remains below 25°.
- Cut the smoked cheese into dice and serve with a local beer, glass of wine or port.