For the meatballs
- Two tablespoons fennel seeds (crushed in a mortar)
- 500g mixed minced meat (pork and beef)
- Salt + pepper to taste
- 1 clove of garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 egg
For the sauce
- Sour cream
- Greek yoghurt
- Pepper + salt
- Garlic powder
- Fresh dill, finely chopped
- Olive oil
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 red onion, cut into rings
- 1 fennel, cut in half
- 1 cucumber, cut into slices
- Pita breads
- Chopped iceberg lettuce
Ah, summertime ànd the living is easy, and that’s thanks to your barbecue. Grab a beer, get a little creative and fire up your grill. We have to admit it, nothing says “I’m a grilling boss”, like a piece of meat with perfect grill marks. We brought out our inner grillmaster with our Barbecook’s Largo, our partner in crime for those hot summer nights.
Nothing beats homemade Swedish meatballs, especially not when you can grill them! This crowd-pleasing version is made with ground beef and pork, gently spiced with fennel seeds, grilled and served in a pita bread with sour cream gravy. Tasty!
- Make meatballs using the minced meat, egg, crushed fennel seeds, pepper, garlic, salt and breadcrumbs. Boil them until tender. These meaty balls are purposely precooked until very tender so that they do not fall apart when it’s time to grill them.
- Fire up your grill with the Barbecook Quickstart system (easy peasy and grill ready in 15 minutes)!
- Meanwhile, make your sauce by mixing all the ingredients. Done!
- Now you just have to grill your meatballs, fennel and red onion until you see grill marks.
- Finally, heat your pita breads on the grill before filling them with the sauce, the meatballs, the fennel, the onion, the iceberg lettuce and the cucumber.