Barbecook Charcoal Starter
Barbecook Lemon Smoker Chips
Mussel vegetables (celery, onion)
Pepper, salt, dill
For the lemon mussel dip:
- 200 g mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons yoghurt, grated rind of 2 lemons, 4 cups lemon juice, chopped parsley, salt and pepper
There is nothing better than the classics: our heart beats faster at the news that the “Zeeuwse” mussels have arrived. These molluscs are meaty and rich in nutrients and bring summer to your table. This delicacy is also sure to be delicious smoked. When it is served with some French bread and a fresh lemon mussel dip dream, thanks to this dish, whatever the season, you will dream that you are at a summer resort.
The Barbecook Oskar smoker is equipped with a water dish, which is normally used to keep the temperature in the smoker perfectly under control. Because of its unique shape, the water dish is also ideally suited to preparing mussels. Place it on the top ring and you can create your own Barbecook mussel dish. Our mouth is already watering!
We smoke the mussels with the Barbecook Lemon smoker chips. This gives a spicy citrus smoke with a mild hint of fruit. Lemon smoker chips are perfect for a delicate piece of white fish, but they are also perfectly usable for seafood.
- Rinse the mussels under cold running water. Throw away all of the open mussels. If you wish, you can also let them rest in salted water with a little flour, so the mussels “spit out” any sandy residues.
- Soak the lemon smoker chips in water a few hours in advance.
- Mix all ingredients for the mussel dip well and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Start the Barbecook Oskar using the Barbecook Safe Drop Charcoal Starter.
- Place the water dish in its holder on the topmost hooks.
- Fill the water dish with the rinsed mussels and mussel vegetables.
- Season the mussels with some pepper, salt and dill and add a good dash of white wine.
- Now close the smoker and throw the soaked smoker chips on the charcoal. Open the air supply at the top and bottom, so that you obtain a temperature of about 150°.
- Mussels do not need very long, so check them regularly and stir them evenly.
- When the mussels are opened properly (after about 10 minutes), they are ready to serve.
- Serve with some baguette and the lemon dip, perfect as a snack or as finger food!