Barbecook smoke chips
A hand mixer, blender or cutter
- 250 g pumpkin flesh
- 100 g chickpeas
- olive oil
- 0.5 sp. salt
- 1 sp. cumin
- 0.5 sp. rosemary
- 0.5 sp. smoked paprika
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 0.5 sp. cayenne pepper
- black pepper
- 1 sp. coriander powder
- 1 tbsp. tahini
- 1 clove garlic
- lemon zest
- lemon juice
- pinch of cinnamon
- 5 slices of bacon
- pumpkin seeds (peeled and lightly toasted)
- cress or mint leaves as topping
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 sp. Greek yoghurt
- 1 tbsp. sour cream
- juice of 1 lime
- pita bread, Turkish bread, tortilla crisps or crackers
In the last few months there’s been a lot of smoking going on at the Hot Cuisine de Pierre. You may recall the pulled pork and already legendary Moink balls. Last weekend I tested the Barbecook Otto, an electric smoker. I left out the fish and meat. For smoking there were only vegetables such as pumpkin, parsnips and celeriac.I started off with the smoked pumpkin. The plan: a sauce dip of pumpkin and chickpeas. So, a sort of hummus with a smoky taste. I topped it off with crispy bacon, yoghurt and pumpkin seeds. Surprisingly tasty and perfect after an autumn day’s smoking with friends and better beers.Preparation
- Smoke the pumpkin for 30 to 40 minutes in the Barbecook Otto electric smoker.
- Finely mix the pumpkin with the chickpeas, tahini, olive oil and garlic.
- Fry all the herbs briefly in a dry pan. Make sure they don’t burn. Grind them finely in a mortar and mix into the pumpkin-chickpea puree.
- Freshen with lemon zest and lemon juice.
- For the yoghurt sauce, mix the olive oil with yoghurt, sour cream, lime juice and zest.
- Fry the bacon until crispy in a dry pan. Allow to drain on kitchen paper. Finely chop.
- Optionally, grill the pita bread or Turkish bread in the oven.
- Serve the hummus on a plate. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and yoghurt sauce. Garnish with watercress or other greens, pumpkin seeds and bacon crumble.
- Serve with crackers, crisps, Turkish bread or pita bread.
Beer tip: a spicy Saison while waiting and a double IPA with the sauce dip.