- 6 clean tin cans
- > 1 hour
- 3 sheets shortcrust pastry, 400 g frozen red fruit (thawed), 100 g butter, 1 can condensed milk (sweetened), 1 lemon
This time, we have chosen something sweet to prepare on our mobile barbecue Billy: a dessert. The idea is based on an “apple pie in a can”, but we will be baking this with red fruit. Frozen red fruit, to be honest, because it isn’t in season right now. To make it even easier, we are using ready-to-use shortcrust pastry. Why not make things easier, if you can?
This is actually a recipe you could easily make while camping. Just go to the nearest shop, buy a few tinned goods, some shortcrust pastry and some red fruit. Eat or drink whatever is in the can and you can get started with your Barbecook Billy.
- Using the cans as a cookie cutter, make rounds out of the shortcrust pastry that are just a little smaller than the cans. Cover the bottom of each can with a round of pastry dough.
- Next, line the inside of each can with pastry dough.
- Don’t throw out the rest! Knead the remaining dough into a ball, roll out and cut into not-too-thin strips.
- Fill each can (lined with dough) with red fruit. Add a knob of butter and 2 tbsp condensed milk. Finish with the zest of a thoroughly rinsed lemon.
- Weave the strips of pastry dough across the top of the can.
- Light the Barbecook Billy using Safedrop charcoal starter.
- Put the grill into place and place the cans on the grill. Close the barbecue and bake the pies for 20 - 30 minutes.
- Serve with a fork or spoon and a scoop of ice cream (optional).